Updated: Jul 30/18 | By: Chris Herbert
Here’s my next installment in Silicon Halton’s conversation series. I’m interviewing people within the SH community and beyond. The topics and reasons for each interview will vary but the common goal is to help our members and the community to grow.
For us growth is a core part of what keeps the heart of the Silicon Halton community beating. We want you to grow through learning, grow your networks, grow professionally, grow your company and do everything possible to help the hi-tech industry grow in Halton region.
Interview with Jim Orlando, General Partner at OMERS Ventures
OMERS Ventures is the venture capital investment arm of OMERS, one of Canada’s largest pension funds with over $95 billion in net assets. OMERS Ventures is a multi-stage investor in growth-oriented, disruptive technology companies across North America.
This interview is with Jim Orlando who is a Managing Partner and OMERS. Jim’s “Ten Canadian Startups and Venture Capital Predictions for 2018” is a must read. I love that Jim puts himself out there with these predictions but also grades himself on them as the year unfolds!”
I reached out to Jim to drill a bit deeper into his predictions and to get his take on the health of the venture capital investment and exit scene in Canada for 2018. Enjoy!
Use the timeline to pick what you want to listen to | Full conversation transcript.
|00:43||The Canadian Venture Capital scene: the good news & the bad news|
|07:50||How many rounds of fundraising are too many?|
|15:11||Are there enough investment opportunities in Canada? Is the lack of exits due to the lack of “quality” companies? Plus the importance of “optionality”|
|20:32||Are Canadian startup companies just a bunch of “sellouts”? Is the only way for them to succeed is to be acquired instead of continuing to organically grow or going public?|
- Chris’ Weekly Journal for Week of Sep 30/18 - October 8, 2018
- Chris’ Weekly Journal for Week of Sep 23/18 - October 1, 2018
- What is LPWan and LoRaWAN? A conversations with Sam Reid from Quaenet - September 27, 2018
- Chris’ Weekly Journal for Week of Sep 16/18 - September 24, 2018
- Chris’ Weekly Journal For Week Of September 9/18 - September 17, 2018
- Interview with Jim Orlando, OMERS Ventures on 2018 VC scene - July 29, 2018
- Silicon Halton Member Creates Ask Oakville Alexa App - July 13, 2018
- Smart City Meetup with Silicon Halton and Town of Oakville - June 27, 2018
- My scores for this year’s TU20 Cup contestants - June 3, 2018
- McRock Capital IIoT Symposium 2018 - May 1, 2018