Software Peer2Peer – October 2020 – ONLINE
October 26 @ 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm
Driving Accuracy in our Weather Forecasts with Technology
This session focuses on R&D innovations for weather forecasting; the data we use, algorithms we develop and workflow that is employed in our “Research to Operations” process. Comparisons between original data and value-added data resulting from the R&D process are shown and explained.
Who Should Attend
This seminar will be beneficial for those interested to learn about what goes into Weather forecast generation, as well as the computational processing that goes into extending the raw data into accurate forecasting.
- Where our data comes from
- Global Observing System and WMO
- Non-traditional weather observations
- Numerical Weather Prediction (NWP)
- The work that our R&D team does to really bring our forecasts to greater levels of accuracy via value-added data processing
- Gap-filling for current conditions
- Statistical correction and blending of forecasts
- Location-based weather forecasts
Presenter: Iain Russell, Director, Meteorological R&D, Pelmorex Corp, [LinkedIn]