Defining Our Direction?
If you were to spend one night chatting with Silicon Halton members you’d find out very fast that we have world class entrepreneurs, technologists, data scientists, software developers, lawyers, sales reps and marketers. That’s why when I heard about the City of Toronto “partnering” with Google’s Sidewalk labs my first question was why? Make no mistake that the direction we set when it comes to things like “citizen data”, “smart cities” and AI will affect our countries destiny. So, do we really need Google to make the City of Toronto “smart”. Nope. Made in Canada and made for Canada is better. Check out Jim Basillie’s article in the Globe and Mail entitled: Sidewalk Toronto has only one beneficiary, and it is not Toronto [Article link].
IoT and Facility Management
At this past weeks IoT Peer2Peer, we discussed the evolution of technology solutions that involves integration of software, sensors and trackers (IoT devices) and data networks (integrated solutions) to manage the utilization and performance of facilities & assets (fixed and mobile) for driving the desired business outcomes. Bhuwan Sharma [LinkedIn], from Kibog Inc [Website], shared his thoughts on the industry, based on his interactions with facility and physical asset managers, provide a demo and share lessons learned from collaborating with customers to build/bootstrap an integrated facility & asset management solution.
— Silicon Halton (@SiliconHalton) October 5, 2018
I hope you had a great Thanksgiving and enjoyed spending time with your friends and family. I’d like to express my thanks to the many Silicon Halton members that have are contributing to make our community very special. This is a partial list for sure! Thanks to:
- Dave Ashton [LinkedIn] & Chris Larson [LinkedIn] leaders of Software Peer2Peer Group
- Lisa Denis [LinkedIn] & Hazel van der Werken [LinkedIn]: Leaders of Women in Tech Peer2Peer Group
- Jean Nickerson [LinkedIn], Reema Duggal, Silicon Halton co-founder [LinkedIn] & Craig Stark [LinkedIn]: Leaders in the IoT Peer2Peer Group
- Rick Stomphorst, Silicon Halton co-founder [LinkedIn]: Leader of CEO and Human Resources Peer2Peer Group
- Denys Linkov [LinkedIn] and the TU20 Leadership team for the amazing things you’ve done and are planning for youth and young adults in tech. [Website]
What’s Next in Our Community?
- Tomorrow is our 108th meetup asking If Your AI Invention is Patentable? [more and register] and were’ very lucky to have Ian McMillan [LinkedIn], Patent Partner and Catherine Lovrics [LinkedIn] , Partner, Lawyer and Trade Mark Agent from Bereskin & Parr [Website].
- Oct 16th learn how to Successfully Lead in a Multi-Generational Workforce [see events]
- Oct 22nd the Software Peer2Peer group is covering JSON Web Tokens [see events]
- Oct 24th the CEO Peer2Peer is covering Channels to Get to Market [see events]
- Oct 24th the Women in Tech Peer2Peer is covering Body Language [see events]
- IIoT Symposium 2019: Interview with Remi Schmaltz, Agtech Entrepreneur - April 1, 2019
- This Is Happening in Halton Region! - March 10, 2019
- Silicon Halton’s Tech Under Twenty Announces New Partners for Cup - February 28, 2019
- Microsoft Investing In Toronto and Affordable Housing - January 30, 2019
- Journal Update: Dec 3/2018 - December 3, 2018
- Weekly Journal for Week of Nov 11/18 - November 22, 2018
- Weekly Journal for Week of Nov 4/18 - November 13, 2018
- Chris’ Weekly Journal for Week of Oct 28/18 - November 4, 2018
- Chris’ Weekly Journal for Oct 14 to Oct 27/18 - October 27, 2018
- Chris’ Weekly Journal for Week of Oct 7/18 - October 23, 2018