September 26, 2017 | 6:30 pm - 9:00 pm | Halton HiVE, Burlington
Over the past three years, Silicon Halton cofounder, Chris Herbert has been researching the Industrial Internet of Things (IIoT) and has engaged with many entrepreneurs, technologists and venture capitalists to assess the market opportunity for his ventures, clients and for Silicon Halton members.
- Audience: Entrepreneurs, consultants, hardware and software developers
- Review of IIoT market growth and platforms
- Early stage use cases
- Key insights learned from one on one discussions with IIoT companies and IIoT Symposium event
- New IoT initiatives for Silicon Halton community
Technology companies are bringing to market IoT/IIoT (industrial IoT) "platforms" and a host of "smart" solutions such as smart cities, smart grid, smart farming, smart this and smart that. According to a study by Verizon the internet of things is poised to transform virtually every major market sector, growing to more than 5.4 billion connections by 2020. Some say the internet of things is more hype than reality while others say the contrary. And, there are plenty of predictions on the growth of the IoT/IIoT market. Too many perhaps!
There's a lot of noise, hype and confusion in the market. What's an IIoT platform? What's an LP Wan network and why is it important for IoT adoption and acceleration? Should Silicon Halton members invest time, money and effort in developing skills, expertise, products and services for the IoT/IIoT market?
During this meetup you will:
- Get a better understanding of the market. We’ll separate the hype from real world facts, use cases and identify potential opportunities for Silicon Halton tech entrepreneurs, developers and the SH membership
- Identify some of the key players, including local Canadian companies, in the IoT/IIoT market that you should know about and why
- identify key compelling reasons why companies are adopting IoT/IIoT solutions and in what industries and the IoT adoption path
- Network, eat some pizza and have conversations with entrepreneurs and subject matter experts in the IoT/IIoT space
Schedule / Format
- 6:30 pm: Registration, Pizza, Networking & Silicon Halton announcements
- 7:00 pm: Interactive presentation with additional subject matter experts and meetup attendees
- 8:00 pm: Panel Q&A
- 8:30 pm: Informal Q&A, networking and demos (stay tuned). We’ll head out when the last person leaves the room!
Chris Herbert, Ventures: Silicon Halton | TechIgniters | Mi6 Agency
Chris is the cofounder of Silicon Halton and the new TechIgniters™ an Excelerater™ for Tech Entrepreneurs in Halton Region. Over the past three years he’s extensively researched the IoT/IIoT market and worked with some of the pioneers in IoT including Oakville based Maps BI (acquired by Geotab in 2016), SkyHawk Telematics and Geotab. He’s covered McRock Capital’s IIoT Symposium over the past three years including the 2017 event held this past May.
Panelists, Entrepreneurs and Subject Matter Experts
Craig Stark, IoT Foundry | Ben Zimmer, Enable Education | Mike Branch, Geotab | Johnny Ramoutar, SensorSuite
Halton Hive - 901 Guelph Line, Burlington